Our food loving friend Leslie from “Dash of Les” Tampa Bay’s Favorite Food Blogger shared with us this mouthwatering festive cocktail that adds a perfect combination of sweet, sour and spicy flavors.
For all you certified heat-seekers and cilantro fanatics we hope you’ll ditch the “pre-mixed” margaritas and give this homemade option a try!
- 8 ounces of your favorite silver Tequila (I'm a big fan of 1800)
- 6 ounces Triple Sec
- 3 cups sliced Wish Farms strawberries
- 4 tablespoons cilantro (plus 4 sprigs for garnishing)
- 1 whole, fresh jalapeno, sliced (plus 1 additional sliced jalapeno for garnishing)
- Juice from 3 limes
- 1 additional lime, cut in wedges
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Large ice cubes
- Kosher salt
- Combine strawberries, water and sugar into a saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until strawberries are reduced and mixture is thick. Pour into a glass or ceramic dish and let cool in the refrigerator for about 25 minutes.
- Using a mortar and pestle (or a ceramic bowl and wooden spoon), muddle the cilantro, jalapeno and lime wedges.
- Spoon (and "scrape") up half of your muddled mixture and add to a tumbler/shaker. Then add half of the strawberry "syrup" along with half of your lime juice, 4 ounces Tequila, 3 ounces Triple Sec, and a big handful of ice.
- Give it a solid 20 second shake.
- With a lime wedge, "wet" the rims of two glasses. Flip each glass over onto a small pile of kosher salt (or sugar) to coat the rims. Add ice to each glass.
- Strain the margarita mixture into each glass. (I opted to spoon some of the strawberry syrup and remnants into the glasses as well )
- Garnish with a few jalapeno slices (if you want extra heat) one strawberry (sliced 3/4 lengthwise) and a cilantro sprig. Enjoy!
- ***Repeat Steps #3-7 for 2 more drinks. Recipe serves 4***