2 hours Serves 1 cake hard
- 1 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Zest from 1 lemon
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 package Wish Farms blueberries
- 1/2 cup Wish Farms blackberries
- 1/4 cup lavender
- 1/2 pound Wish Farms blueberries
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2-3 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mascarpone Cream Filling:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1.5 cup whipped cream ( Stiff )
- zest from 1 lemon
Lemon curd Filling:
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoon butter cut into 5 pieces.
- Start by adding the blueberries with the lemon juice, vanilla and honey to a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes, just until the blueberries get soft and burst. Remove from flame and adjust sweetness to your taste with more honey. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the lemon curd, prepare a double boiler with 2 inches of water in the bottom pan. Bring to gentle simmer.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to the top pan. Whisk together over the steam until combined well. Keep whisking for a few minutes until the curd has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. About 5 to 10 minutes or so. Turn off the flame and whisk in the butter until melted. Transfer the curd to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cooled completely. It should be very thick at this point.
- Preheat your oven to 325″F.
- Prepare a 10 inch spring form pan by lightly buttering it with a dab of butter. Place on a baking sheet.
Olive Oil Cake:
- In a mixing bowl add the eggs, lemon zest, lavender and sugar. Mix well
- Pour in the olive oil and continue whisking until mixed. Add the ricotta cheese and sea salt and whisk till combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and slowly mix or fold everything together until incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the buttered spring form pan.
- Bake the olive oil cake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Make the Mascarpone Cheese Filling:
- Add the egg yolks and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Mix until fluffy and pale in color.
- Add the lemon zest and spoonfuls of the mascarpone cheese.
- Using a spatula fold the whipped cream (must be stiff) into the whipped mascarpone cheese until combined. Make sure to not over mix. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use making sure the mixture is thick and creamy.
Assemble the Cake:
- Once cooled off, remove the cake from the spring form pan by releasing the sides first, then remove the bottom.
- Slice a thin layer off of the top to remove the top crust and expose the inside of the cake. Then slice it in half.
- Place the bottom part on a plate or cake stand.
- Using a small spatula spread the chilled lemon curd on top of the olive oil cake.
- Spoon half of the mascarpone filling on top, then top it with half of the blueberries from the blueberry sauce and some of the fresh blackberries. Reserve as much of the liquid from the blueberry sauce as possible for the next layer.
- Add the next olive oil cake layer and spoon all the remaining blueberries with the sauce on top. Add the remaining whipped mascarpone and with the back of a spoon or spatula rustically spread it over the top. Place the fresh blackberries all over the top, reserving some to decorate the sides of your olive oil cake.
- Once assembled, garnish your cake with sprigs of Lavender.