Raspberries may seem a little more decadent or only for special occasions, but they are just as delicious and nutritious as blueberries and strawberries. Raspberries are packed with all the antioxidants your little heart desires. Plus…raspberries are always in the ‘fancy’ desserts! The only downside? The berries last around 3-7 days once you leave the grocery store!
Make your 3 day expiration date turn into 7 by taking all these necessary steps to keep your berries fresher longer.
Here are our top 3 tips to keeping your raspberries yummy and fresh.
1. Choose your Raspberries wisely
- Ensure that you are grabbing a package free of dents and mushed berries from the refrigerated section.
- The package should also be dry and clean. Any sign of water in there is a recipe for disaster!
2. Rinse your raspberries just before consuming
- Many people love to take home their produce and do one full rinsing session before placing into their fridge. This simply cannot be done with berries because they absorb water.
- Wet berries will have an accelerated rate of decomposition.
- Instead, rinse them right before eating. If you can wait, allow the berries to adjust to room temperature. This allows your berries to be much much sweeter!
3. Keep Raspberries in the fridge
- If the cold chain is broken, your berries are going to get decay much faster! Always keep your berries in your fridge. No exceptions!