Florida Strawberry Season is officially here and just in time for all your favorite holiday recipes! Everyone knows that when you bite into the perfect berry this time of year, you’re taking a bite out of the sweet sunshine state. Since planting back in late September, we have been patiently waiting for harvesting. It’s a yearly lesson that “good things come to those who wait”…and it is totally worth it!
Did You Know?
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside. Each strawberry has about 200 of them!
- Strawberries do not continue to ripen after they are picked. We always do our best to pick our strawberries at their optimal ripeness so, pick yours at their best, too!
- Wish Farms harvests several different strawberry varieties based on the season and growing region. Some varieties are a lighter or darker shade of red. Some are dense in the center and some are hollow and light inside.
- It takes about 21 days for one bloom on a strawberry plant to become a ripe berry!
- Strawberries varieties are bred through traditional techniques. There are no GMO strawberries.
Most will be surprised that the Florida strawberry season is during the Winter; however, the cooler (but not freezing) temperatures are what provide the ideal climate for strawberries to thrive. From late November till April, you will have fresh Florida-grown berries out of Plant City and Duette, Fla.
The rest of the year, strawberries will grow in other regions like California. During the summer months, Florida becomes too hot and humid for strawberries to survive.
Our Florida growers work hard day in and day out, sunrise to sunset, to ensure that your family has fresh food available. Berries are hand-picked right from the plant and placed directly into the container you purchase at the store. As soon as they are picked, the timer begins. They are quickly and carefully loaded onto a refrigerated truck and transported to your local grocery store. By cooling the berries immediately and until consumption, your strawberries will stay fresh longer!
This season, we are excited to introduce a new variety, Pink-A-Boo Pineberries®! This new berry is a tropical twist on the traditional strawberry. A pineberry is like a strawberry, but different. The flavor and aroma of a pineberry carries subtle, tropical notes of strawberry, pineapple, pear and apricot. Wish Farms calls them Pink-A-Boo Pineberries®, because they turn a pink blush when they are ripe and ready to eat!
With sweetness like a strawberry and low-acidic content, its delicate smooth texture and pleasant flavor nuances are certain to delight your senses! Wish Farms’ Pink-A-Boo Pineberries® are non-GMO and grown naturally at the farm.
Where can you get these delicious pineberries? Click HERE to find out where you can buy them!