45 minutes Serves 10 easy
Ingredients for Cake:
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of sifted flour (preferably self rising)
- 3/4 cup of softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
Ingredients for Filling:
- About 3/4 of a pound of Wish Farms strawberries
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 2-3 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees for the cakes.
- First, begin with the making of the cakes. Take the 3/4 cup of sugar and 3/4 cup of softened butter and mix them together.
- Add the 3 eggs, 3/4 cup of flour, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder and mix until the consistancy is smooth.
- Take a muffin tray and coat the pan with either butter and flour or a non-stick spray to make sure the cakes come out of the pan easily. Fill the muffin tins each about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full (usually fills about 10).
- Put the cakes into the preheated oven and cook for about 15 minutes. To tell if they are done, stick a toothpick in the center of a cake and if it comes out clean they are ready! Let the cakes cool for about an hour.
- While the cakes are in the oven, it is time to start on the strawberry filling. The filling does not have to be precisely measure, it all depends on your specific taste buds.
- Heat up the 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan on low to medium heat. While the butter is melting, take about 3/4 pounds of strawberries and cut them into small chunks about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch in size.
- Add them to the melted butter in the pan. Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla (or as much as you desire) over the strawberries.
- Mix everything together and let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally. After the 10 to 15 minutes, remove the strawberry mixture from the heat and pour into a bowl to let cool for about an hour.
- Once the cakes and strawberry filling is cool, it is time to put the Pixie Cakes together! The center of each cake needs to be cut out so I would recommend taking a knife about 1/4 inch from the edge of the cake and angling it in about 45 degrees so the point is in the center of the cake.
- Take the knife around the whole circumference of the cake so there is a little piece of circle cake cut out where the filling can go. However, keep the little piece of cake because it will be used later.
- Fill the cakes with the strawberry filling. Take the small piece of cake that was cut out and slice it in half to make the “wings”. Position the “wings” on top of the filling to complete your Pixie Cakes!