This wonderful recipe is from the kitchen of Maria Provenzano, our very own Life Style Pixie. Visit Maria’s blog for delicious recipes and more!
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour (or just all whole wheat; if you can’t find whole wheat then you can use unbleached all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (turbinado or regular sugar can be used instead)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1- 1 1/2 cups hemp milk (regular milk can be used instead)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (organic is best)
- 2 cups sliced Wish Farms strawberries
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Dark chocolate
- The first step is to make the roasted strawberries for the pancakes. Lightly drizzle the sliced strawberries with olive oil and roast in the oven heated to 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until you start seeing some caramelization and they become juicy. Set them aside to cool.
- To make the butter into brown butter for the pancakes, place the butter in a sauce pan and heat over medium-low heat whisking and swirling consistently. Continue until small brown bits start to for which should take about 5 minutes. There is a fine line between browning and burning so make sure to keep your eye on it and remove from the heat when the butter begins to brown.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl whisk together 1 cup milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry until just combined.
- Gently stir in the browned butter making sure to add all of the delicious brown bits! Then add 1/3 of the roasted strawberries stirring until just combined. You don’t want the batter to be too thick so add the extra 1/4 cup milk if needed, being careful not to over mix.
- Heat a griddle on the stove over medium heat. Spread some butter evenly over the griddle. Spoon the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle with the dark chocolate and then cover with a little bit more batter. Try and find good quality dark chocolate, which is normally in a bar, and chop to desired size. I do that because I like having some small piece and some big pieces of chocolate throughout.
- Once you start to see bubbles on the tops of the pancakes then you can flip them. Serve them with fresh strawberries or the remaining roasted strawberries.