Easy-to-make hand pies folded into love notes to deliver to your loved ones! Serve these PB & J Love Note Pastry Pockets for breakfast, lunch, or dessert. Created by Chef Emily Ellyn and featured on Good Day Tampa Bay with Charley Belcher.
More from Chef Emily at EmilyEllyn.com
- 1 package 9-inch double-crust pie
- 1 cup Wish Farms strawberries, stems removed by cutting in a v and sliced into heart shapes
- 1 cup Wish Farms Pink-A-Boo® Pineberries, stems removed by cutting in a v and sliced into heart shapes
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon Nutella, peanut butter, or sunflower butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ (or 375℉ convection). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- Lay the 2 pie crusts on a large floured work surface. Roll the crusts out to about 12 inches in diameter and, using a paring knife or pizza cutter, cut 4 sides of the circles to form 2 squares. Cut each square into two equal squares (about 6-inches on all sides) so you have four 6-inch squares. Roll the remaining dough and cut one more square. Using your pairing knife, cut the remaining dough into heart shapes.
- Using the back of a spoon, carefully spread 2 tablespoons of the strawberry jam and nut butter on one half of the square only spreading part way to the edges. Place one slice of a Wish Farms strawberry in the center of the filled dough. Fold the bottom three corners into the center of the square creating the shape of an open envelope.
- Brush the top of the folded pies with the egg wash and arrange the cut strawberries, Pink-A-Boo® Pineberries, and heart-shaped dough cutouts as if they are spilling out of the envelope. Carefully move the pastry pockets onto the prepared baking sheet and brush dough hearts with the remaining egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the pastry pockets from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Pastry pockets will keep in an airtight container for up to two days.