These chocolate covered strawberries make the perfect pumpkin to top a Berry Garden Cake!
This recipe was created by Emily Ellyn. Emily is best known as the Retro Rad Chef from Food Network; Appearing on “Food Network Star,” “Cupcake Wars” and most recently as the winner of “Cutthroat Kitchen.” She’s also a culinary educator and food writer, who writes for “edible” magazine and is the Cake Genius at “Cake Central” magazine. When she’s not busy writing or lecturing, you’ll find Emily cooking up fun at food and spirits events around the world.
- 1 pint Wish Farms Strawberries or Pink-A-Boo® Pineberries
- 2-3 cups orange candy melts
- Garnish: 16 – 20 sprigs of mint
- Wash and fully dry the Wish Farms Strawberries or Pink-A-Boo® Pineberries. Lay the dry berries on paper towels while prepping.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and reserve to the side.
- Place the candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir it with a spoon and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each time, until fully melted and creamy. Do not overheat as it will burn and become pasty. You could also use a double boiler on the stovetop if you prefer.
- To dip the berries, hold the strawberry leaves on top and carefully dip each strawberry into the melted orange chocolate. *If strawberries do not have leaves, use a bamboo skewer to hold berries securely when dipping into chocolate. Then place the chocolate-covered strawberries onto the parchment paper lined tray. Repeat until all strawberries are dipped and covered in the chocolate. Place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes, or until set.
- Pour the leftover melted chocolate into a piping bag fitted with a fine circular tip. If you don’t have a bag or tip, you can use a ziplock bag and snip a very small piece of the corner off for piping.
- Once the chocolate is dry on the strawberries, you can add the ribbing or pumpkin lines. Hold the piping bag firmly and decorate lines on your strawberry pumpkins from tip to top. Repeat until all strawberries are done and then set aside.
- Garnish with mint sprigs by carefully cutting stems off strawberries and replacing with mint sprigs. Note that mint that has vine-like tendrils creates a pumpkin patch effect.
- Serve as a fun garnish on a Garden Dirt Cake or to doctor up an autumn gathering board. Strawberries will last for up to two days in the refrigerator.