Covered by the In the Field Magazine, the last Blueberry Association meeting had some very important topics to cover that day. A new Blueberry variety would be introduced to the season as well as the election of new Blueberry Association President.
One of our growers, Dudely Calfee definitely deserves his new title has President.
With the help of the University of Florida, Calfee has successfully optimized output while minimizing input costs.
Other efforts include:
– Reduced the use of pesticides and fungicides.
– Discovered ways to re-use and recycle plastic and corrugated materials.
– Surpassed crop production averages.
– Has installed permanent water retention, drainage, and sediment structures and planted over 100 oaks and magnolia trees around adjacent lakes to protect against potential run-off.
His amazing efforts in environmental sustainability granted him the 2013 recipient of the Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Agriculture Environmental Leadership Award.
Now a little information on the new Blueberry Variety, “Indigo Crisp” according to the article:
– Firm crisp texture
– Earlier maturing
– Higher yields than existing crisp varieties
– Potential for machine harvest for fresh market production
– Reduced post harvest bruising or pathogen damage
– Good flavor and size
– Good vegetative bud break with high crop loads
Click HERE to read the full article