Wish Farms Food Safety Program
Wish Farms’ Food Safety Program includes certification by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), the highest level in food safety management systems, covering both GAP and GMP. The Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) includes a series of food safety checkpoints covering farm production and post-production. In addition, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) covers food safety procedures in our warehouse and coolers.
Our berry processing facilities are certified by Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) which, defined by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is a systematic approach to the identification, evaluation, and control of food safety hazards.
Wish Farms is compliant with the Produce Traceability Initiative (PTI), which implements case-level electronic traceability across our strawberry and blueberry shipments. We have gone above and beyond this industry-driven standard and developed a patented traceability system called FreshQC™ How’s My Picking?™ achieving item-level produce traceability.
To verify Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) are being followed, Wish Farms employs independent third party auditors, to perform audits throughout the season at each of our fields, coolers and distribution locations around the world. Wish Farms reviews results to ensure any non-compliant issues are addressed and corrected.
- Regulatory Compliance
- Field History & Assessment
- Worker Health & Hygiene
- Agriculture Water Quality
- Animal Control
- Soil Amendments
- Pre-Harvesting Assessment
- Field Packaging & Handling
- Equipment Sanitation & Maintenance
- Tracing & Recall Testing
All of our independent growers are under contractual agreement to adhere to our Wish Farms Food Safety Program . Our grower partners operate independently and therefore are responsible for adhering to federal, state and local food safety regulations.
Wish Farms’ Food Safety Team provides ongoing education to our growers throughout the season in addition to pre and post harvest. Members of our Grower Relations staff are onsite at the farm during the season to ensure food safety policies are being followed. Team members are readily available to address any non-compliant issues quickly and effectively. Each grower is aware that non-compliance can lead to disassociation from Wish Farms.
As a family owned and operated company, Wish Farms is dedicated to sustaining a healthy environment for future generations to enjoy. We recognize the important responsibility of farmers to be good stewards of the land, air and water. Continually looking for ways we can go above and beyond legal requirements and regulations, our team engages in a monthly dialogue about reducing our environmental impact, while also soliciting employee suggestions and consumer feedback. The goal of each initiative we undertake is to improve processes and efficiencies that ultimately reduce our use of earth’s precious natural resources. Through food bank donations, berry processing, composting and utilization of recycled products, Wish Farms aims to reduce landfill waste and our carbon footprint. With our eye on the future, the Wish Farms family is committed to applying the latest green technology and renewable energy whenever and wherever we can.
Wish Farms believes that innovation in agriculture will help farmers better utilize and conserve the resources needed to produce berries. Berries use resources such as land, water, energy and people; which are all critical in their production. With the use of berry varieties that are better adapted, higher yielding, and more tolerant to disease and insect damage, more berries are produced using the same land footprint while using less resources.
Drip irrigation, mulching, and protected agriculture are practices that Wish Farms utilizes to minimize the use of resources. Whenever possible and available Wish Farms packs and ships using recyclable material, such as clamshells, carton boxes, pallets, etc. Wish Farms is in the process of upgrading our facilities and cooling equipment to promote a more efficient, energy-reducing and cost-effective cooling process. Wish Farms also participates in office and farm recycling programs that help reduce landfill usage.
Social Accountability Policy
Wish Farms takes the safety and well-being of our employees very seriously. Wish Farms adheres to all federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to laws regarding: health and safety, labor and employment, wage and hour, and licensing. Wish Farms is in line with current social compliance trends and provides programs to reward and recognize our workforce. Wish Farms takes pride in its core values of Quality, Integrity, and Responsiveness.
- Wish Farms Integrity: Conducting business honestly with strong moral principles
- Wish Farms Quality: Committed to the highest degree of excellence in our product and the service we provide
- Wish Farms Responsiveness: Committed to creating solid relationships, trust and rapport with our suppliers, our clients, and our employees and will respond quickly and accurately to inquiries
- Wish Farms has policies in place to ensure the fair treatment of workers. There is zero tolerance for harassment or discrimination of any kind. Wish Farms provides grievance mechanisms that are easily accessible to workers including an open-door policy and an anonymous grievance hotline.
- All workers are paid weekly for all hours worked within the previous week. A legal minimum wage is paid as required by federal and state laws. Where applicable, workers are paid a piece rate during the harvest season providing the workers opportunity to earn additional wages above minimum wage. Work hours are fair and reasonable and at no time is any worker forced to work against their will.
- Wish Farms will not tolerate child labor of any kind. The minimum age for employment at Wish Farms is 18 years and is strictly enforced.
- Workers are provided with a safe and sanitary working environment and measures are taken to reasonably prevent accidents, injuries, and health risks. Management is provided safety training and several supervisors onsite are both CPR and First Aid certified.
- Wish Farms is committed to working for the good of the community. Each year Wish Farms holds a charity event to raise money for local charities that support the education of the children of migrant workers. Wish Farms employees proudly participate in community charity events representing Wish Farms and the community where we work and live.
Product Traceability & Consumer Feedback
Compliance with the Produce Traceability Initiative (PTI) is required by each of our Wish Farms growers. This industry-developed program ensures case-level electronic traceability. In addition, all of our growers must utilize our patented FreshQC™ – How’s My Picking?™ trace back system, which links each package of berries to the picker in the field, accomplishing item-level traceability.
With How’s My Picking?™, we are able to provide specific information about each individual package of produce. If a circumstance were to arise where the safety of our produce was in question, this trace back system allows us to isolate a food safety incident and identify the exact area in the field where the produce was harvested.
With our patented traceability tool, How’s My Picking?™, Wish Farms has the ability to trace our product back to the grower, variety, field location, date and time. A unique 16-digit code is tied to specific information for each package of berries. Consumer feedback is linked to our growers and pickers holding them accountable and ensuring we offer the highest quality pack.
At Wish Farms, we take pride in our product and our family name. We look forward to hearing feedback from the people who have experienced our berries. If you would like to share praise or a concern, we want to hear from you! Our team is dedicated to building loyal Wish Farms berry lovers. From our family to yours, we hope you enjoy!
An essential part of a balanced diet includes eating fresh fruits and vegetables daily. Health experts advise, that regardless if conventionally or organically grown, consuming fresh produce will provide the most nutritional value for our diet and far outweighs any risk of pesticide residues on produce.
A great resource to educate yourself and make the right decision for your family is www.safefruitsandveggies.com. This non-profit organization shares information on pesticide use and features an interactive pesticide-residue calculator to determine risk for adults and children.
We understand produce selection is a personal choice. Wish Farms appreciates the opportunity to offer an organic alternative to consumers. Our organic strawberries and blueberries are available at many grocery retailers throughout the year. All Wish Farms organic produce is certified organic by Quality Certification Services and the USDA.