25 Serves 12 intermediate
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons strawberry puree
- ½ cup unsalted butter, nearly at room temperature
- ¼ cup salted butter, nearly at room temperature
- 2 ½ – 2 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Add ½ cup + 2 tablespoons strawberry puree to a small saucepan.
- Heat mixture over medium-low heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally until reduced by about 2/3 to 3 tablespoons, about 10 – 14 minutes (measure and if it isn’t quite 3 tablespoons then return and continue to simmer, if it’s not reduced to correct amount it will make frosting runny).
- Pour reduced puree into a small bowl, and then freeze until cool (stir occasionally for even chilling, it will chill quickly in the freezer since it’s such a small amount).
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip unsalted and salted butter until very pale and fluffy (nearly white.
- Stop and scrape down bowl occasionally throughout entire mixing process if not using the paddle attachment that constantly scrapes bowl).
- Mix in 1 cup powdered sugar, and then blend in 3 tablespoons reduced strawberry puree, vanilla extract, and optional red food coloring.
- Add remaining 1 ½ cups powdered sugar and continue to mix until frosting is pale and fluffy, adding in an additional ¼ cup powdered sugar if needed to reach desired consistency.